How to Make a Wooden Laptop Stand (Adjustable Angle) - LEKULE

Breaking

24 May 2017

How to Make a Wooden Laptop Stand (Adjustable Angle)

How to Make a Wooden Laptop Stand (Adjustable Angle)
I need a laptop stand! I NEED A LAPTOP STAND!

I thought I would finally make a laptop stand, which Is something I've been needing for so long. This adjustable angle/height laptop stand can be removed easily (I'm not the only user of the laptop I use), and allows me to type FASTER, and with fewer typos, because it's so much more comfortable! It also puts the screen at a more comfortable height, and makes the keyboard backlight actually illuminate the keyboard, instead of me just seeing it from underneath.
Is that not enough? It also helps my laptop keep itself cool!

Let's get started!
-

(Watch the YouTube video: LINK FOR MOBILE VIEWERS!)
*ᴺᵒᵗ ʳᵉᵃᶫᶫʸ⋅ ᴵ'ᵛᵉ ᵈᵉᶜᶦᵈᵉᵈ ᵗᵒ ᵐᵒᵛᵉ ᶦᵗ ᵗᵒ ᶰᵉˣᵗ ʷᵉᵉᵏ⋅⋅⋅

Step 1: What You'll Need:

What You'll Need:
Want to make your own laptop stand? Here's what you'll need, or at least what I used!
I made it for FREE since I already had everything that was needed on hand.
-
Hardware, Materials & Consumables:
Adhesive backed velcro
Wood (European beech)
Screws
-
Tools:
Handsaw (+DIY Magnetic Handsaw Guide!)
Drill
Drill bit set
Ruler

Subjects: Woodworking
Approximate Time: <1 hour="" p="">Difficulty: Simple
ALWAYS USE PROPER PPE.

Step 2: Attach the Velcro!

Attach the Velcro!
I decided to use a really nice piece of beech wood that I had for the part that attaches to the laptop, with velcro. I stuck the velcro to the end of the piece of wood, and then flipped my laptop over, and marked the center of its underside. I added the velcro and pressed down onto it for about a minute so it would adhere properly.

Step 3: Cut Off the Excess Wood

Cut Off the Excess Wood
Since the piece of wood that I chose was pretty long, I cut off the excess with a handsaw to the length that was needed (or, well, estimated). I cannot live without this homemade life changing saw guide anymore!

Step 4: Make the "legs"

Make the "legs"
I cut two narrower pieces of beech wood to 13cm long, and clamped one to the side of the piece of wood that I made earlier, to my workbench, as shown in the picture. I drilled a pilot hole at the length of the screw that I was planning on using on both sides and pieces, and then came back and enlarged the pilot hole of each "leg" - without enlarging the pilot of the middle piece.

I used a bigger drill bit to countersink and then drove in the screws just tight enough, while clamping the pieces together, so the narrower piece tightened onto the middle piece when I tightened the screw. Not enough won't hold the weight of the laptop, and too tight will make it so you won't be able to adjust the angle/height of the stand later, or maybe even break the screw or split the wood.

Step 5: DONE! | More Thoughts | Video!

DONE! | More Thoughts | Video!
See it in action, on Youtube!
Some more thoughts:
  • If I would make this again, for the piece that attaches to the bottom of the laptop with velcro, I would choose a thinner piece, since it stops the laptop from going down all the way. It isn't that much of an issue, but if it will be, I will just cut off the corner at an angle (I guess that's kind of a bevel...)
  • I think that this makes it harder to type when slouching too - Bonus!
  • Add a phone holder?
  • Add a built in storage container for my flash drive?
  • Add a cup holder?
  • Now that I think of it, this could be turned into a tripod!

No comments: