Modern LED Desk Lamp...Powered by 5V USB - LEKULE

Breaking

27 May 2017

Modern LED Desk Lamp...Powered by 5V USB

Modern LED Desk Lamp...Powered by 5V USB
DSC_8375.jpg
DSC_8369.jpg
This was an entirely new project for me. I've always been fascinated with edge-lit acrylic and I figured it would make for a nice desk lamp. The sanded edges of the acrylic pieces send off a diffused glow that works great for a desk or reading lamp. The LED strip inside is cheap and safe since there is no wiring involved.
As with all power tool Instructables, please use proper PPE and follow all safety protocols for each machine.
This Instructable is aimed to provide everything you need to make one for yourself. But if you have any questions, send them my way.

Step 1: Gather Materials and Tools

Gather Materials and Tools
IMG_0946 (1).jpg

Tools needed:

  • Mitre Saw
  • 3/4" and 1 3/4" hole saw and forstner drill bit (Drill press or hand drill powered)
  • Belt sander or palm sander

Materials needed:

Most of these materials can be sourced from scrap with the exception of the LED strip
  1. Wood: Any wood from aspen to zebra can be used for this lamp. You need about a board foot for a decent sized lamp, so even if you have to buy something, it isn't that expensive. I chose some shorts of walnut that were planned to 1/2".
  2. Acrylic: I got my acrylic from a local plastics manufacturer. They end up with plenty of offcuts and would likely be willing to part with it. If not, you can pick up acrylic sheet at most hardware stores. I used 1/4" thick acrylic for this lamp. But anywhere from 1/8" to 1" would work.
  3. LED Strip: I used a 5v LED strip with a pre-wired USB end. 50cm will give you plenty of light to work with. I ordered several dozen since I am making these with my students and it really drove the price down. You can expect to pay less than $5 for this. Mine were sourced from Aliexpress. LED Strips On Aliexpress.com
  4. Dowel: 3/4" dowel works best for wrapping the LED strip around. You will be able to find this at any hardware store.
  5. Glue: Gorilla glue is great for glueing dissimilar materials like wood and plastic.
  6. Finish: Wipe-on Polyurethane from Minwax is always my choice of finish.

No comments: